So a lot happened in my life over the last year, most of which went largely undocumented, especially on this blog. If you follow my Instagram account, you'd have probably seen some photographs. Anyway, here's just five things I did last year that I didn't blog about:
1. I went to Brazil for the 2014 FIFA World Cup and it was all shades of AMAZING. I loved the country, I loved the people, and I loved the overall experience. The bonus for me was that the trip was largely unplanned on my part - I just decided to tag along at the very last minute, with a sibling and a few Professors representing a prominent South African University. Needless to say, we had a FANTASTIC time and South America is my new favourite continent.
2. I travelled through parts of Saudi Arabia that many people don't even know exist. The best parts were the exquisite beaches on the Red Sea:
And of course, to the holy cities of Makkah and Medinah:
3. I finally got to meet my sweet little Swedish cousin who was born in Denmark when I couldn't be there. It's amazing how you can love someone before even meeting them, and stranger still, to expect this little tiny being to love you in return.
4. I spent Eid-ul-Adha, the second of the Muslim Celebratory Holidays (in October) with a few Ukrainian, Iraqi, Algerian and Russian friends in Istanbul, Turkey. The trip was as unplanned and unexpected as the Brazilian trip and we thoroughly enjoyed exploring the old city:
5. Finally, this year I was fortunate enough to meet someone special, someone who really cared about me. The experience brought enlightenment and joy into my life. I can only speak highly of him because he is a true gentleman in every sense of the word and even though it ended way too soon for reasons beyond our control, I'm not sad that it happened because I am a better person for meeting him. I'm sure he'll make someone very happy one day and he'll definitely remain my favourite Ex.
I don't know what 2015 has in store for me, but I'm open to more of the unexpected and to going on more unplanned, sporadic trips. Here's to a fantastic year ahead for everyone! :)